Thursday, January 29, 2009

How it REALLY feels like

It was like nothing I ever felt before. I was unsure if a had heard right. Then a soft whisper echoed in my ear while her arms wrapped around me tight “Congrats woman! I’m so proud of you.” Those same hands that were around me quickly cupped my face and she glared into my eyes and said “You can’t afford to let your make up get ruined”.She chuckled and what seemed like a gulp to hold back her tears was evident. She smiled and sent me off down that stage to take my first walk as Miss MalaysiaIndian Global 2008. Super! An intimate moment that we shared for a few silent seconds was what made me realise that I have the worlds greatest friend.

The ‘She’ I refer to is Meera – best friend, partner in crime, supporter and all round sweet heart. So yes of course everyone wants that beauty-queen-crowning-glory moment. How I managed to grasp the attention of the judges I don’t know. It could have been my greeting or could have been my answer in the Q&A session. Still, it remains unknown to me. Was I expecting the win though? NO! Of course I wanted to win but for once I was nervous. Possibly due to the fact that I had my entire dream running on this win. I gave my all during the fitness run, and I gave my all on the night of the grand finals.

The supporters I had rallied up were amazing. They had screamed their way through every time I was up on stage. Who were they?

Mum, Dad, A. Lina, Godma, Willie, Linda, Sonia, Navin (worlds greatest boss), John (charming but full of himself), Aaron (wonderful boyfriend) and his side kick cum best friend- James. Their constant cheering was what kept my spirit and confidence level high which was unusual as I normally get uncomfortable when familiar faces are around.

Nevertheless, I aimed for one thing and one thing alone – to be able to ENJOY myself. That is all I wanted. Winning was just a bonus. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Yes I won’t lie- if I had lost, I would have undoubtedly felt a slight pang of disappointment, however I’m an optimist and believe that things happen for a reason. Either way I was proud of not only myself but also Meera. We were together for each other’s messes and now that we have grown, we are still together savoring every moment of life.

The best gifts that night were:-

1) Having my parents present to celebrate in this joyous occasion with me. (Together with my friends and the rest of the family)

2)Reaching the top five with my BEST FRIEND Meera. She was a true gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment